Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricane Ike in Baytown

Ike- My first hurricane I went through. Hunkered down in the hallway with my husband and daughter. The sounds of the wind howling and that train whistle all night long had my heart pumping. Storm started the winds around 7pm. In the dark in the hallway with 2 flashlights and a pocket TV. Lights started flickering at about 12:00, around 12:20am we went to bed, lights went out @ 12:30am. All you can hear are things hitting the roof and wondering what was next? A whole tree? You could actually feel a slight breeze throughout the hallway as the gusts came through. Not sure the time but a huge part of a tree hit the side of the house and shook the entire house. We would get up every hour or so and check the news, text family members, and pray. Around 4am the eye came through, eerily quiet, no rain, no wind, no nothing. I actually slept about 1 hr. Woke up again when the back half came by. LONGEST 8 hrs of my life. I have a few pictures from our neighborhood, and a few videos from the early evening of the storm to the aftermath. Hope you enjoy, I thank all of my friends and family that prayed for us. We were truly blessed to be safe!





This is just the beginning and the end of the hurricane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you said that you JUST had some yard damage, I had NO idea of the damage! I am overwhelmed just looking at these pictures, I can't imagine how you guys felt! You guys were truly blessed, Alicia, I can't believe all those trees missed the house. It looks like the entire neighborhood really pulled together to help everyone out, that is amazing!! I can't say enough how glad I am to know that you guys are safe, with MINIMAL damage, haha. My heart goes out to everyone who down there.